Ultimate Trail Mix Recipe by Super Healthy Kids is a great way to introduce different food/nutrient groups as well as empower kids to make choices about the food they are making.
Choose as many or as little of the options from each category below.
- Nuts: Peanuts, Walnuts, Cashews, Almonds, Brazil nuts, Hazelnuts, Pine nuts, Macadamian nuts, Pistachios
- Seeds: Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Watermelon seeds, Hemp seeds, Flax seeds, Sesame seeds
- Cereals/Grains: O's cereal, Chex cereal, Granola, Popcorn, Sesame sticks, Crackers, Pretzels
- Dried Fruit: Dried cranberries, Dried cherries, Dried raisins, Dried dates, Dried mango, Dried apricots, Banana chips, Dried pineapple
- Extras: Coconut, Chocolate chips, Chocolate covered raisins, yogurt covered raisins
1. Place each ingredient in a separate bowl. Place a serving spoon with each ingredient.
2. Group the bowls of ingredients into a nut group, seed group, grain group, fruit group and extras group. Labeling each food/nutrient group can be helpful.
3. Give each child a small baggie or coffee filter. Explain that they will choose what goes into their personal trail mix. Encourage kids to choose at least one ingredient from each group in order to make a balanced trail mix snack.
*Variation: Get fresh fruit and dehydrate it with your kids! Practice counting or talk about how a dehydrator works as your kids place each piece of cut fruit on the dehydrator trays.
Enjoy cooking with your kids!